Creating a blog or website is always a good idea because you’ll be able to express yourself, share your thoughts, skills, and experience with other people and also make money online with your blog.
Every day many blogs pop up with various topics, and many of them have become enormous brands. You don’t need to be the next Neil Patel, Briand Dean, or Harsh Agrawal, but you can make a lot of money blogging.
There are many ways to create a blog without any programming skills, with just drag and drop you’ll create your beautiful website and make money online.
The two most popular sites to create a blog are:
So, if you’ve chosen Blogger (Google’s free blogging platform) to start a free blog, I’ll show you how to set it up in this blog post.
Before we start you have to know this:
- Difference between a blogspot and blogger
- Pros of using blogspot
- Cons of using blogspot
Blogspot VS Blogger
Blogspot is a free domain service provider by google, while blogger is a free blogging platform where you’ll set all of your sites. If you create a blog on blogger your website name will be like “myname.blogspot.com“.
Pros & Cons of using Blogger.com
You’ve to know this, In life, everything has good and bad, therefore blogger.com has advantages and disadvantages of using it.
- Free Version.
- Free SSL certificate.
- Simplicity, easy to learn than WordPress or Wix.
- Fast indexing on google search.
- Security (difficult to hack).
- Simple to integrate with other Google products (Analytics, GSC, and AdSense)
- Load faster with an average of 75 on GTMetrix and PageSpeed Insight.
- You’re not the owner, Google owns total control of your blog.
- Limited Templates (Themes)
- Lack of customization options;
- It lacks eCommerce plugins, SEO plugins, etc.
- Post URL must contain dates.
- Poor customer support.
How to create a blog on Blogger?
Before we proceed let’s see what are the requirement to use:
- Gmail Account
Only a Gmail account is required to create a blog on blogger.
Step 1: Log in to Blogger.com
Sign in with your Gmail account. If you don’t have a Gmail account, you can create one for free then come back to the Blogger homepage. Both Gmail and Blogger are owned by Google Inc.
Step 2: Choose a name for your blog
You’re required to choose a title for your blog site as shown in the image below.
Step 3: Choose a URL for your website
URL refers to the address of your blog, Think very well and choose a nice name, and short URL for your blog.
The domain name must be unique, so there’s a chance that the one you want is already taken. In that case, you’ll need to try a different domain name until it says This blog address is available.
Step 4: Blog Dashboard
After choosing your blog URL now your bog is Alive! and the site will redirect you to your blog dashboard. A blog dashboard is an interface that displays all your blog pages, posts, and statistics of your website.
Step 5: Create a Blog Post
On Blogspot, you can create a post and add it to your blog.
- From the left-hand menu list, select the Posts
- Then you’ll click on NEW POST
- Type the TITLE of the post.
- Add content for the post.
- You have more options on the right-hand:
- Label (Post Category)
- Post Publish time
- Permalinks (set post URL)
- Add Location
- Reader comments option
- Finally, publish the post at the top right-hand.
Step 6: Create Blog Pages
You can create pages for static content, such as “About” or “Contact” in Blogger. They can be displayed as tabs at the top of your blog or as sidebar links.
The first step is to display your pages.
- Log in to your Blogger account;
- Choose your blog from the drop-down menu on the top left;
- Select Layout from the left-hand menu;
- Click Add a Gadget in the section where you want your pages to appear;
- Click Add next to Pages in the window;
- Set up your page and then click Save;
- Click Save Save in the bottom-right corner to save the arrangement.
Best Blogger settings you must know
How to change a theme on Blogger?
You may not like the appearance of your blog at first, but we’ll help you to learn how to change its design to make it look great and professional.
Go to Theme from the left-hand menu.
- Scroll down to find the theme you want from the many options available.
There are a lot of Blogspot themes to choose from, but we recommend using Contempo, Soho, Emporio, Notable, or Essential. You can preview the theme before applying it.
You can also purchase premium themes for your Blogspot blog if you want more attractive design and customization options.
Check if your blog visible to search engines
Here’s how to check if your blog is visible:
- Go to Settings;
- Scroll down to the Privacy section;
- Ensure that visible to search engines is enabled.
How to add a favicon?
A favicon is a small image in the browser’s tab when you open a website. Follow these steps to change the default favicon on Blogger.
- Go to Layout -> Edit Favicon;
- Upload a square image that is less than 100 KB;
- Click Save.
How to add a gadget?
Use gadgets to display your archive, show labels in a list, or show your profile on every page.
- Go to Layout in the left menu;
- Click Add a Gadget in the area you want to change;
- Select the gadget in the pop-up window and click Add Add;
- Click Save in the lower-left corner;
- Click Edit to change a gadget’s settings.
TIP: Drag the gadget to a new location to change where your page appears.
Create a page that includes a link to another website
- Choose a blog from the drop-down menu on the top left.
- Select Layout from the left-hand menu.
- Click Edit next to “Pages” in the “Page List (Top)” section.
- Click Add external link under “Pages to show.”;
- Save the link and then Save after entering the page title and URL.
Choose which pages to display
- Select Layout from the left-hand menu;
- Click Edit in the “Pages” section;
- After selecting the pages you want to show, click Save;
- Click Save Save in the bottom right corner to save the arrangement.
You can add labels to your post. Your post’s label is another term for its category or tag. On the blog post, these labels are visible. When a reader clicks on a label, a page with all of the posts with that label appears. You can use a label gadget in Blogger to add labels to your blog’s sidebar. It will make it easier for your readers to read all posts with the same label.
- Add labels in the sidebar’s Post settings;
- Select Labels from the drop-down menu. A box will appear where you can enter labels;
- Add labels to the post that are relevant to it.
Set the desired permalink structure
- You can change the permalink to your blog post. Under the Post settings, you’ll find this option;
- Select permalink from the drop-down menu. There are two options: automatic and custom permalinks;
- To keep your blog post URL short and user-friendly, use the custom permalink option.
Preview and publish
Before publishing your blog post, you can see a preview of it. To do so, go to the top right corner and click the Preview button.
If the post preview appears to be perfect, click the Publish button.
Switch to a custom domain
We saw how we chose a free Blogspot domain that was suffixed with the Blogspot keyword above; however, if you prefer, you can purchase a custom domain and add it to Settings » Basic. Select Add a custom domain and enter the domain name you purchased.
Traffic stats for your website
Going to Stats » Overview, you can see the status of your website’s traffic in real-time. It would display the traffic sources, audiences, and a variety of other information. You can see which posts/articles/pages are receiving the most traffic and for which keywords.
Go to Template » Edit HTML to make changes to your existing template. If you want to, you can also include scripts in the header and footer sections.
Monetize Your Blogspot Blog
There are two ways for monetizing a Blogger-based website or blog:
- Placing ads via Blogspot themes – use the theme settings when you need advertising units to appear on every page of your website;
- Placing ads on a separate blog post page – this way could be very useful if you want to try out a new format or leave some pages ad-free.